360 Director is a new page of creative tools for editing 360 videos on Facebook, available to both Pages and Profiles at https://www.facebook.com/360_media/create
This new page includes the following features:
Annotations: A new feature that gives you the ability to add text, symbols and graphic annotations to your content, marked within space and time in your video.
Guide: Previously available only to Pages, Guide enables you to highlight specific points of interest in the field of view over the course of your video. People who watch your video will automatically be directed around the video as it plays. Guide is now available to everyone.
Player Controls: Previously available only to Pages, these controls let you set the effective zoom level of the video, set the initial direction the video starts in, and preview how it will look in News Feed.
Metadata Injection: A new feature that lets you tag your video as being 360, stereo, different projection formats, as well as the ability to save the associated settings of guide, annotations, and player controls to the video asset so you can save time and pick up where you left off next time you edit or upload.
Follow our 10 step guide to get the most out of 360 Director:
1. Launch 360 Director by hitting the ‘Launch 360 Director Tools’ button and uploading your 360 Video from your computer
2. A window will pop up like the one below – before making any edits, preview your video and confirm it plays as expected –
a) The ‘VR’ toggle in the bottom left will allow you to set whether your video is monoscopic or left-right or top-bottom stereoscopic
b) The ‘Globe’ toggle in the bottom left will allow you to select equirect or cubemap format
3. Use the slider in the top right corner to set your default zoom level, making sure you’re previewing to optimizing for News Feed by switching to the ‘mobile’ icon just above your video
4. Set your initial view selection by dragging the viewport at 0.00 and then choose other highlights to guide your audience to by playing through your video and selecting ‘mark as highlight’.
5. Add annotations (text, images) by selecting the + symbol in the top right corner of your video. You can modify the size, color and alignment of the text. You can modify the size of the images. By placing annotations within time and space in your video, annotations will stick for 3 seconds.
6. If you video has 360 Audio, we’ll automatically detect this and signify this with the ‘headphone’ icon in the bottom right corner.
7. If your video has 360 Audio, hit the ‘headphone’ icon in the bottom right corner and select ‘360 Audio’
8. Review your video to ensure you’re happy with your highlight points and annotations.
9. Once you’re happy with the final product, hit ‘Download’ to export your video with the metadata for these customizations.
10. You can now upload your video to any Page or Profile, and your video will automatically pan to your highlights and show your annotations!
System Requirements for 360 Director: Latest Chrome browser on Desktop. Mac or PC. System Requirements for Mobile Playback of Annotations: Latest version of FB iOS or FB for Android
At launch these new tools are in beta and annotations are only visible on mobile for now. We encourage you to test these out and share feedback with our team in the Facebook 360 Community group.